Hi everyone and welcome to Bristol Grandparents Support Group blog. Although we are Bristol based we have grandparents from all over the UK and beyond as members.

It is estimated that over one million children in the UK are denied contact with their grandparents due to family breakdown which may have been caused by divorce/separation, alcohol/drug dependency,domestic violence,bereavement or family feud.
Every child has the right to have contact with their grandparents
if they wish and unless proven unsafe for them to do so. To deny contact from a parent or grandparent has to become as socially unacceptable as drink driving.
I hope to keep you up to date with what is going on in BGSG and I shall continue to campaign for the rights of children to have a loving and meaningful relationship with both parents and their extended family. So please join in as good to hear your views, not just mine!
I also will support via Skype.
There is no membership fee to be part of Bristol Grandparents Support Group.
Esther Rantzen says, " To every grandparent, links of love can never be broken in our hearts."

Please contact during office hours.

Sunday 22 August 2010

If you don't know where your grandchild/grandchildren are here are some ideas.

· If you suspect they might be in any form of danger, or is very young, contact the police.
· Check phone books or online phone lists to see if the person is listed.
· Are they still using their mobile phone, old or new?
· Are they still using their e-mail address?
· Contact the Salvation Army Family tracing service.
· Check electoral rolls in the area you suspect the person may have moved to.
· If it is a child, they should be registered in a school; if you have joint parental responsibility, the school in the area you suspect the child is in, should tell you if they are on the register, you would probably then need to go to the police to proceed further.
· Are there any joint accounts (credit cards / bank accounts) that the person may be using and having mail redirected to them.
· If it is a child that is missing, you can contact the child protection team (social services) in target areas that you think they may have gone to.
· They should register at Health centres, Doctors and Dentists.
· Does the missing person or child have strong ties to the church, an organisation or clubs?
· Could they be on a council or a housing trust list in a target area?
· Use family links to try and get information about the missing person.
· Ask family friends if they have any information.
· Do they have overseas connections, which they could have used and gone abroad?
· Does the person have a medical condition that may require specialist help in a specific area of the country?
· You could use a private investigator to try to find the person. (cost a major factor)
· Can you use internet methods to trace them.Are they still putting comments on Facebook /Twitter /etc ? If they have blocked you from contacting them, can you get someone else to contact them to see if all is fine?
· Contact other organisations such as Families needs fathers, etc for their advice.
· Place adverts in local papers in target areas for information.


No comments:

Post a Comment