Welcome.


Hi everyone and welcome to Bristol Grandparents Support Group blog. Although we are Bristol based we have grandparents from all over the UK and beyond as members.

It is estimated that over one million children in the UK are denied contact with their grandparents due to family breakdown which may have been caused by divorce/separation, alcohol/drug dependency,domestic violence,bereavement or family feud.
Every child has the right to have contact with their grandparents
if they wish and unless proven unsafe for them to do so. To deny contact from a parent or grandparent has to become as socially unacceptable as drink driving.
I hope to keep you up to date with what is going on in BGSG and I shall continue to campaign for the rights of children to have a loving and meaningful relationship with both parents and their extended family. So please join in as good to hear your views, not just mine!
I also will support via Skype.
There is no membership fee to be part of Bristol Grandparents Support Group.
Esther Rantzen says, " To every grandparent, links of love can never be broken in our hearts."

Please contact during office hours.
07773258270


Saturday 27 April 2013

Remain Positive.

When you find yourself in this heartbreaking situation of not being able to be part of your grandchildren's lives, it is a huge shock.
We have all been down the black spiral of no hope, a feeling of loss and it is so easy for depression to grab you and take you down.
Since 2007, like you, I have visited every website, forum and advice line to find answers, all too often what I have found is that these places can be so negative and seem to add to the feelings of hopelessness, which is totally understandable.
There has to be places were people can rant, swear about the system and fight for change in  which ever way they seem appropriate. In fact it is crucial that there are those out there banging the drum for the sake of the children, people who are not afraid to put themselves out there in the firing line. People who I admire enormously.
Of course it is always going to be the very nature of the beast,  people  looking for answers  all feel utter desperation, so they are not going to be uplifting places to be.
Just for me personally I have left various forums as I  can find myself slipping back down towards that black hole , and it's a place I don't intend to revisit.
Why?
I owe it to my granddaughter to be as upbeat as I can be, to be the gran she remembers, someone who is positive and foreword thinking with a smile on my face. The smile represents the many fabulous memories I have in my heart of a funny, kind and clever girl. If she thought I was being miserable and frowning all the time she would be very cross!
Running the support group, I hear such tragic stories on a daily basis and I have to do what I do, and that is to give support, a shoulder to cry on and to pass on any advice I can.
I know that children do seek out the truth and that we have to think of ourselves as well, to keep ourselves healthy in body and mind to be the grandparents we have always been, with arms open wide ready to receive.
Grandchildren ARE reunited with their grandparents, never forget that.

Jane
www.bristolgrandparentssupportgroup.co.uk




No comments:

Post a Comment