Welcome.


Hi everyone and welcome to Bristol Grandparents Support Group blog. Although we are Bristol based we have grandparents from all over the UK and beyond as members.

It is estimated that over one million children in the UK are denied contact with their grandparents due to family breakdown which may have been caused by divorce/separation, alcohol/drug dependency,domestic violence,bereavement or family feud.
Every child has the right to have contact with their grandparents
if they wish and unless proven unsafe for them to do so. To deny contact from a parent or grandparent has to become as socially unacceptable as drink driving.
I hope to keep you up to date with what is going on in BGSG and I shall continue to campaign for the rights of children to have a loving and meaningful relationship with both parents and their extended family. So please join in as good to hear your views, not just mine!
I also will support via Skype.
There is no membership fee to be part of Bristol Grandparents Support Group.
Esther Rantzen says, " To every grandparent, links of love can never be broken in our hearts."

Please contact during office hours.
07773258270


Wednesday 28 August 2013

The Joy of Grandchildren.

As you will know 17 months ago we became the proud grandparents of twin boys and it has been a magical time.
It has made me consider the importance of being a grandparent again, actually that sentence is not correct, it is not the importance of grandparents but the importance of grandchildren and the difference they make.
When our first and eldest granddaughter arrived in this world it was extraordinary, I still find it hard to think of my children being parents!
The first time I held her in my arms is something I will never forget, from that second I loved her.
For the first 7 years of her life we had such great times, lots of laughing, lots of smiles and hugs, even when her mum and dad split we were able to continue with our relationship and it was oh so special, she is oh so special, until that horrible day when my son and ourselves were told we would no longer see her.
I have written many times of the total devastation we all felt, and the hopelessness of it all.
That was 6 1/2 years ago.
When I am with the twins it is like no other experience, it is all consuming, wonderment and disbelief that they are part of our family.
We took them to Slimbridge this weekend with mum and dad, and they were entranced by the birds, mesmerising to watch their reactions, it was tinged with a wrench in my heart when I remembered so clearly when we took our granddaughter , she had the same look in her eyes, the same excited skip and the same giggles as the twins.
What I would have given to have shared it again with her ,for her to experience the joy of her cousins.
Her own little footsteps were made in exactly the same places as the twins, it is so clear if I close my eyes I can see them altogether.
Time may have moved on, life may have changed but my love for all my beautiful grandchildren is still the same.
Grandchildren are a continuum, they will take the next generation on towards an ever changing world.
They give us a reason for life, even those grandchildren who are estranged are always in our hearts, always in our thoughts and allowing us to never give up hope.
Bless them all.

Jane
www.bristolgrandparentssupportgroup.co.uk


No comments:

Post a Comment