Welcome.


Hi everyone and welcome to Bristol Grandparents Support Group blog. Although we are Bristol based we have grandparents from all over the UK and beyond as members.

It is estimated that over one million children in the UK are denied contact with their grandparents due to family breakdown which may have been caused by divorce/separation, alcohol/drug dependency,domestic violence,bereavement or family feud.
Every child has the right to have contact with their grandparents
if they wish and unless proven unsafe for them to do so. To deny contact from a parent or grandparent has to become as socially unacceptable as drink driving.
I hope to keep you up to date with what is going on in BGSG and I shall continue to campaign for the rights of children to have a loving and meaningful relationship with both parents and their extended family. So please join in as good to hear your views, not just mine!
I also will support via Skype.
There is no membership fee to be part of Bristol Grandparents Support Group.
Esther Rantzen says, " To every grandparent, links of love can never be broken in our hearts."

Please contact during office hours.
07773258270


Monday 10 March 2014

I will just sit and wait, for as long as it takes.

When I held my first meeting back in 2007 I remember being very apprehensive, I had absolutely no idea who was going to come or what on earth their expectation was going to be.
That first ring on the doorbell made my heartbeat race, deep breath and I opened the door.
What was so clear was that the grandparent on the other side of the door was much more nervous than I was, after all at least I was on home ground.
Within  a very short time we began to relax, as more people arrived we all had one thing in common we    were being denied contact with our precious grandchildren.
Although of course we were all sad, the care and concern for one another lifted our spirits, we realised that we could actually help each other. Just for those few hours we could share and give suggestions of how to try and move forward.
Amazingly, there was laughter and smiles.
It continues to be that way 7years on, masses of cake and copious cups of tea have been consumed but most importantly, real friendships have been forged.
If you are reading this for the first time, and thinking about joining us, please do.
It will be me who is at the end of that phone when you ring, and I also  know that, you have just taken the first most difficult step, that first step of ringing that number. I have grandparents contact me who have had our number in their pocket for 6 months before plucking up the courage to ring.
I am not scary, honest!
Don't worry if you get upset, I won't go anywhere I will just sit and listen and wait, for as long as it takes.
I don't have the answers but I do understand and I do know every emotion you are feeling.
We will get through it together.
So please, lets talk.
Jane
www.bristolgrandparentssupportgroup.co.uk



No comments:

Post a Comment