Welcome.


Hi everyone and welcome to Bristol Grandparents Support Group blog. Although we are Bristol based we have grandparents from all over the UK and beyond as members.

It is estimated that over one million children in the UK are denied contact with their grandparents due to family breakdown which may have been caused by divorce/separation, alcohol/drug dependency,domestic violence,bereavement or family feud.
Every child has the right to have contact with their grandparents
if they wish and unless proven unsafe for them to do so. To deny contact from a parent or grandparent has to become as socially unacceptable as drink driving.
I hope to keep you up to date with what is going on in BGSG and I shall continue to campaign for the rights of children to have a loving and meaningful relationship with both parents and their extended family. So please join in as good to hear your views, not just mine!
I also will support via Skype.
There is no membership fee to be part of Bristol Grandparents Support Group.
Esther Rantzen says, " To every grandparent, links of love can never be broken in our hearts."

Please contact during office hours.
07773258270


Sunday 3 August 2014

Grandparents wanting to end their lives.

I have written before about the desperation felt by grandparents who are prevented from being part of their grandchildren's lives, but I don't think that the general public fully understand if indeed they understand at all.
This week I have been contacted by grandparents who are in such a bad place they are talking about ending their lives, their grandchildren are so precious to them and they have tried everything to try and mend the problem.
They have apologised for anything they may have done to anger the parents of the children, they have asked if they can move forward, only to have abusive responses or no response at all.
When I say abusive responses, responses such as this," I will only talk to you when you stop breathing."
These grandparents are sitting on their own crying non-stop, feeling empty, isolated and afraid of what they might do next.
They have been to their GP's, they have contacted organisations, but they are still in such a dark place, all rational thought is beyond them.
These cases are not unusual.
I have always accepted that we can not possibly get on with everyone, some people may annoy us to distraction but I can not accept that the anger felt by some causes others such pain.
How and why has our society reached such a destructive point?
We live in a blame culture where it is ok to treat people badly if we feel an injustice against us, but where does it get us?
It gets us to estranged parents and grandparents who see no hope, who feel unable to face life any longer without their children/grandchildren in their lives.
If you are feeling that you can no longer carry on please seek professional help, you are not alone there are people out there to help you.
You can ring the Samaritans at any time of day or night on T08457 90 90 90

Jane
www.bristolgrandparentssupportgroup.co.uk



1 comment:

  1. I never would have believed I could feel this way until my own son got into a controlling relationship that has given us three years of living hell. We were a very happy family up to that point now he has cut us off. They have a son to whom he is devoted but his partner has used it as a weapon - she has denied him access to teach him a lesson in the past, when we politely suggested that was not a good thing to do she rounded on us and gave him an ultimatum, us or his child. We think of him constantly and try every means we can to communicate but he wont - or more likely cant. I have never suffered from depression in all my life but I do now, its a black wet blanket that is always there. I am reluctant to take medication as I see it as fixing the symptoms not the cause and I cant afford to make myself less sharp for the business I run. I am fighting it and thankfully my wife supports me - and she is just as devastated, all we can do is wait for the relationship to fail as one day it must and be around to pick up the pieces for our son. I never wanted to wish ill on his relationships but the sooner this one ends the better. Problem is there is a child involved so he will never be free, nor I suppose shall we.

    ReplyDelete