Welcome.


Hi everyone and welcome to Bristol Grandparents Support Group blog. Although we are Bristol based we have grandparents from all over the UK and beyond as members.

It is estimated that over one million children in the UK are denied contact with their grandparents due to family breakdown which may have been caused by divorce/separation, alcohol/drug dependency,domestic violence,bereavement or family feud.
Every child has the right to have contact with their grandparents
if they wish and unless proven unsafe for them to do so. To deny contact from a parent or grandparent has to become as socially unacceptable as drink driving.
I hope to keep you up to date with what is going on in BGSG and I shall continue to campaign for the rights of children to have a loving and meaningful relationship with both parents and their extended family. So please join in as good to hear your views, not just mine!
I also will support via Skype.
There is no membership fee to be part of Bristol Grandparents Support Group.
Esther Rantzen says, " To every grandparent, links of love can never be broken in our hearts."

Please contact during office hours.
07773258270


Saturday 1 September 2012

Do I continue?

Over the last few months it has been a time for reflection and looking to the future.
Some of you will know that it has been a difficult time, for me and all my family and the group. What affects me affects all the family.
My family feel that I should pass on the mantle to someone else to take the load.
Running a support group is not just a question of posting info on this blog, it is much more.
It is answering the phone daily to distressed grandparents who have no one to turn to, to be there at any time ready with a shoulder and a listening ear.
To be non-judgemental, to take what is said at face value, to sign post people to help and support.
I have been in touch with hundreds of grandparents since I set the group up in 2007, because I was denied contact with my granddaughter.
That basis still remains, and has to be the focus for me.
I have met some wonderful people, done things I never thought possible.
To the future, well, if I am honest I am not  sure.
It has been a time to back off and heal my wounds, still maybe more healing needed.
I thank everyone for their professional advice and support.
One thing that is certain, is that I am a grandparent who is not able to be part of my grandchild's life, and there are still over one million children in the UK who don't have a relationship with their grandparents.

Jane.
www.bristolgrandparentssupportgroup.co.uk




No comments:

Post a Comment