Welcome.


Hi everyone and welcome to Bristol Grandparents Support Group blog. Although we are Bristol based we have grandparents from all over the UK and beyond as members.

It is estimated that over one million children in the UK are denied contact with their grandparents due to family breakdown which may have been caused by divorce/separation, alcohol/drug dependency,domestic violence,bereavement or family feud.
Every child has the right to have contact with their grandparents
if they wish and unless proven unsafe for them to do so. To deny contact from a parent or grandparent has to become as socially unacceptable as drink driving.
I hope to keep you up to date with what is going on in BGSG and I shall continue to campaign for the rights of children to have a loving and meaningful relationship with both parents and their extended family. So please join in as good to hear your views, not just mine!
I also will support via Skype.
There is no membership fee to be part of Bristol Grandparents Support Group.
Esther Rantzen says, " To every grandparent, links of love can never be broken in our hearts."

Please contact during office hours.
07773258270


Friday 25 February 2011

The real victims-The children.

I was so pleased to read the comments under The Sun's article about Dads not seeing their children included several from the real victims in this despicable state of Family Justice, the children themselves. Their voice is what we want to hear, it is their life that is being abused by ill judged decisions.

Please note that the 'Jane' mentioned in these responses is not me! Its Jane Moore, journalist responsible for the article.

"Thank you for your article, my parents divorced when I was 4 years old, it took me until I was 16 to see my dad and get know him, my mother claims that my father wasn't interested in us but wasn't true at all, so many things went wrong to put the situation right, My mother tried to talk me out of going out for a pub lunch with him and my boyfriend now husband I am glad I did that now he has met his oldest grandson when he was baby but tragically died in 1997 which devastated me, It is unfair how dads are treated in court when the relationship fails with biologiical mother, I am worried that my mother is trying break my family up by saying my husband is a bad dad and doesn't help out at all she hastried to poison my children against him, but she seems like the type that prevent him from visiting in the event of a relationship break up."

"My dad had cutsody of me & my brother from when I was 2 years old (My dad was 24) and we were subject to a court until we were 16. My mother had access yet inconsistantly exercised the right until I was 11-12 years old when we were old enough to ask to go visit ourselves. She lived 300miles away. When I got older I discovered that her new husband regularly visited his children who loved not far from us, yet she didnt visit us. My dad never said a bad word about my mother and only expressed a dislike for her when i was 26. But still 33 years after my dad won custody, she is still bitter and loves telling stories of how he wouldnt buy my brother shoes when he was one?? I grew up a rounded individual and dont feel i missed out at all. My dad wasnt perfect but he did well for us and he is my life and I know I was better off with him than my mother. I wholeheartedly know my mother would of instilled her bitterness about my dad into us and for that I am truely grateful to the courts! My dad, however, enabled me and my brother to form our own opinion of our mother. He didnt need to influence anything, because eventually kids will always be able to see people for what they really are."

"I have also seen the struggles of men trying to just gain access to their children. The law is a farce and women get all the support where men are seen as ****. Its a disgrace. In 1977 when my dad got custody of us it was extremely rare, but men make just as good lone parents as any woman. Its about time things changed! Well done Jane for fighting for this!"

"I feel so sorry for these children. My mother and father split up and she tried her hardest to keep me and my sister away from my father. In the end, it hurts the children, and these mothers need to stop thinking about themselves. I have seen my father regularly, and am grateful that the courts allowed my father to see us."

No comments:

Post a Comment