Welcome.


Hi everyone and welcome to Bristol Grandparents Support Group blog. Although we are Bristol based we have grandparents from all over the UK and beyond as members.

It is estimated that over one million children in the UK are denied contact with their grandparents due to family breakdown which may have been caused by divorce/separation, alcohol/drug dependency,domestic violence,bereavement or family feud.
Every child has the right to have contact with their grandparents
if they wish and unless proven unsafe for them to do so. To deny contact from a parent or grandparent has to become as socially unacceptable as drink driving.
I hope to keep you up to date with what is going on in BGSG and I shall continue to campaign for the rights of children to have a loving and meaningful relationship with both parents and their extended family. So please join in as good to hear your views, not just mine!
I also will support via Skype.
There is no membership fee to be part of Bristol Grandparents Support Group.
Esther Rantzen says, " To every grandparent, links of love can never be broken in our hearts."

Please contact during office hours.
07773258270


Tuesday 11 December 2012

Why Grandparents Need Support.


Thank you so much for the kind words you have been sending us. If I ever doubt whether we are giving the correct support, I will read these. 




“A very big "Thank you" to Jane Jackson and her husband for all that they do for Bristol Grandparents Support Group, not only for their kindness and hospitality but also for the part they are playing in changing attitudes to parenting and grand parenting - remarkable progress during last five years, thanks a million ! “

“Thank you so much for the support you give. Without your group, I think that many grandparents would go under.”

“Until yesterday I had never spoken to anyone who had suffered similar agonizing grief. Friends can be very kind but there is a limit to how much they can take of your grief before their eyes glaze over and the jolly invites begin to dwindle.
           Yesterday I met and heard people talk about their experiences and I was stunned by the fact that we all have the same feelings and the same grief no matter what event actually triggered off the alienation. I am not the only person who lives in a state of total bafflement, grief and feeling of helplessness.
            I am so glad that I was able to make contact with you after your appearance on 'Inside Out West' and that I came to the meeting yesterday. The support group allowed me to feel that I am not alone and that there are people who are working hard to increase public awareness of the damage such emotional cruelty does to so many people, not least the very grandchildren for whom we all grieve.
           Thank you for your devotion to this group. I will see you at the next meeting.”

“I had been left with a huge hole in my heart not being able to see my grandchildren, as I love them so much. Before I met Bristol Grandparents Support Group , on the surface I was functioning but inside, my emotions were raw. I felt ripped apart it didn’t leave me, I woke weeping everyday.
Meeting Jane, prevented my feelings getting any darker, listening to others in the same  situation. What was important was that the environment created by Jane as Marc, felt safe as the womb. Warm, friendly, knowing exactly what it feels like at every stage, caring, sensitive and managed in a professional way without formality. The group gives me a feeling of acceptance, because all the grandparents in this situation suffer the feeling of shame and failure as well as the pain, longing and regret. Everyone there knows all these feelings. Listening to others stories in a completely open, safe environment means that you learn to cope. I have heard some situations that are worse than mine which gives a sense of balance and hearing positive news when some grandparents are reunited gives me real hope, which in itself is healing.
After a meeting, I feel I can cope a bit better until the next meeting. When the next meeting is due, I really feel I am beginning to wear thin and feel more desperation and hopelessness and am screaming inside for help. I can’t see any service in the NHS that can compare with the well-being that is created by the group. Jane and Marc offer their own home, to anyone, and it costs nothing.”
Although the group consists of people from all walks of life, the atmosphere is always the same all through the seasons. Relaxed, calm, warm, healing, uplifting,lts ike coming home really. The feeling of support is really strong and powerful. It is empowering. Thank you.”

www.bristolgrandparentssupportgroup.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment