Hi everyone and welcome to Bristol Grandparents Support Group blog. Although we are Bristol based we have grandparents from all over the UK and beyond as members.

It is estimated that over one million children in the UK are denied contact with their grandparents due to family breakdown which may have been caused by divorce/separation, alcohol/drug dependency,domestic violence,bereavement or family feud.
Every child has the right to have contact with their grandparents
if they wish and unless proven unsafe for them to do so. To deny contact from a parent or grandparent has to become as socially unacceptable as drink driving.
I hope to keep you up to date with what is going on in BGSG and I shall continue to campaign for the rights of children to have a loving and meaningful relationship with both parents and their extended family. So please join in as good to hear your views, not just mine!
I also will support via Skype.
There is no membership fee to be part of Bristol Grandparents Support Group.
Esther Rantzen says, " To every grandparent, links of love can never be broken in our hearts."

Please contact during office hours.

Thursday 8 September 2011

Can surnames be changed?

If you hear that your grandchilds' surname has been changed, it can only happen if both parents agree, below is an extract from official site.

Can I change my child's name?

"A child's legal name can easily be changed by Deed Poll providing everyone with parental responsibility for the child consents to the name change. If your child is 16 years of age or over (or approaching their 16th birthday), they must apply for their own Deed Poll for which parental consent is not required.

Parental responsibility is a legal term and this article will enable you to understand the meaning of parental responsibility and determine who has parental responsibility for your child and who needs to consent to your child's name change. For quick access, we have listed this article's contents below. However, we urge you to read the whole article for a full understanding of the issues relating to changing a child's name. You will also find information in this article about the situations where you may be able to change your child's name without the consent of the father."

No comments:

Post a Comment