Welcome.


Hi everyone and welcome to Bristol Grandparents Support Group blog. Although we are Bristol based we have grandparents from all over the UK and beyond as members.

It is estimated that over one million children in the UK are denied contact with their grandparents due to family breakdown which may have been caused by divorce/separation, alcohol/drug dependency,domestic violence,bereavement or family feud.
Every child has the right to have contact with their grandparents
if they wish and unless proven unsafe for them to do so. To deny contact from a parent or grandparent has to become as socially unacceptable as drink driving.
I hope to keep you up to date with what is going on in BGSG and I shall continue to campaign for the rights of children to have a loving and meaningful relationship with both parents and their extended family. So please join in as good to hear your views, not just mine!
I also will support via Skype.
There is no membership fee to be part of Bristol Grandparents Support Group.
Esther Rantzen says, " To every grandparent, links of love can never be broken in our hearts."

Please contact during office hours.
07773258270


Wednesday 26 February 2014

Look after number one.

That is a phrase I rarely use, but if is one I have used to every grandparent I have spoken to.
Why?
When we find ourselves going through this living bereavement it takes over our lives, it is all encompassing.
Some people find they can not focus on anything else, but total thoughts of grief of feelings of failure.
What we have to do is to understand how this is effecting us physically and mentally.
I know from my own GP that grandparents are seeking their help in large numbers.
Once we realise what this is doing to us, we have to do something about it.
We must self protect.
Keep healthy you owe it to yourself and your family.
Family members are worried about you, they can see how this is eating you up they need you to be you. To be the Mum and Dad that they love.
I also think it is unhealthy to bottle up your feelings, talk to someone about your despair, don't pretend that this hasn't happened to others, explain that you are estranged from your grandchildren.
I know grandparents say that they feel their friends and family 'get fed up' with hearing about it, so I am not suggesting that it is all you talk about. What I mean is that many people keep it to themselves and I don't think that is a good thing.
So it is the one time that you must look after number one!

Jane
www.bristolgrandparentssupportgroup.co.uk



No comments:

Post a Comment